The Village View

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Microsoft prepares iPod assualt

Microsoft has been developing its own handheld music and video player to challenge Apple Computer's iPod and expects to have it in stores in time for the holiday season...

Microsoft's digital device would be equipped with at least one feature the iPod lacks: wireless Internet capability that would allow users to download music without being connected to a PC.

Maybe I'm missing something, but here's what I don't get: I'm assuming that "wireless" above means it will be WiFi enabled. How exactly would I use this? When I'm at home on my WiFi network (or more often my neighbors') why wouldn't I just download the song to iTunes on my laptop? It's got a better user interface and searching and downloading has got to be easier on the bigger screen and with a keyboard. So maybe I'd use it at Starbucks if I paid for their WiFi service? I don't and wouldn't pay for the privelage just so I could download songs. At the office? Doubt IT would make it easy to connect the device to our network.

I'm sure some of you are much hipper than I am and are constantly connected to WiFi networks and would use this, but I just don't see it.

|