The Village View

Friday, January 19, 2007

MingleNow: Here's to Beer!

I like beer. Beer being one of the main reasons I now weigh 10+ pounds more than when I began at SAP a little over a year ago. That's why I was so pleased to see this news from Julia French at MingleNow (Julia, like me, has a German mother - we have beer in our genes)

Today MingleNow went public with a partnership with Anheuser-Busch as part of the beer industry's "Here's-to-Beer" marketing initiative. The partnership allows Anheuser-Busch to leverage the social media channel in keeping with the social aspect of beer itself.....It's the first partnership with a social network for Anheuser-Busch....Users photograph themselves "clinking" beer bottles or glasses together with friends, then upload the photos to galleries on MingleNow. (my emphasis)

So let me get this straight, I have to go drink beer with a friend or "friend" and take a picture? Yeah, I can do that. Twist my arm.

Julia made a few more insightful points, "The "Clink" program utilizes the online/offline nature of MingleNow to bring the real-life camaraderie of beer drinking to the Internet. MingleNow is putting the "social" back in social networking by connecting you online with the places you go offline and the people who go there, allowing users to connect with friends, plan parties and events in the real-world with tools in one centralized location on the Web."

On a more serious note, what I find interesting is that a main stream company and huge traditional advertiser is using a social media channel. My sense is that this will, in the eyes of other large, traditional firms, legitimize the medium. Especially given that social media use, I would imagine, correlates nicely with the market that Bud is reaching for.




|